With Round 13 of the 2017 Monster Energy Supercross getting underway at ST.Louis on Saturday 1st April, here are some facts and stats as we head into the event.
- ST.Louis Dome has hosted every stop of the Monster Energy Supercross since, which enters its 22nd season. Angel Stadium in Ahaheim and Sam Boyd Stadium are the only other stadiums to host every supercross event in that city over the course of two decades.
- Historically the sport’s most talented riders have found success in St. Louis. Of the 22 different riders that have won at St. Louis Main Event in either the 450sx or 250sx classes since 1996, 19 of them have won either a national and/or regional championship.
- In 21 seasons of competition in St. Louis, the race winner has gone on to win the title more than 50% of the time in both classes. It’s happened 11 times in the 450sx class and 15 times in the 250sx class.
- The Dome’s multi-decade legacy of hosting supercross and Monster Jam set the stage for the introduction of a new motorsports spectacle in 2016 called the Gateway Dirt Nationals, an indoor stock car 1/5mile dirt oval.
450 SX Class Stats
- The 2016 podium winners: 1st Ryan Dungery, 2nd Ken Roczen & 3rd Jason Anderson.
- The first 450sx class race held in St. Louis was on April 27, 1996. Missouri native Jeff Emig won a Kawasaki.
- Dungey’s win last season was his landmark 30th career 450sx class win, one year after earning his 20th career victory inside the Dome. He’ll look to become the first rider to win three straight in St. Louis.
- Ricky Carmichael’s 48th and final 450sx class victory in St. Louis in 2007. The Dome also hosted James Stewart’s milestone 50th career win in 2014, which currently stands as his most recent victory.
- Of the eight different riders that have won a 450sx class race in St. Louis since 1996, all but one have at least one championship to his credit. The only exception is Kevin Windham, whose two St. Louis wins are separated by a decade (1998 & 2008).
- In 21 seasons of competition St. Louis there has been a first time 450sx class winner at The Dome.
250 SX Class Stats
- The 2016 Podium winners: 1st Jeremy Martin, 2nd Aaron Plessinger, 3rd Shane McElrath
- The first 250sx class race held in St.Louis was on April 27, 1996. Kevin Windham won on a Yamaha en route to the Eastern Regional title.
- Six of Honda’s eight 250sx class wins in St. Louis came consecutively from ’08-’13 amongst four different riders, all of whom rode for the GEICO Honda squad.
- Justin Barcia won three straight seasons in St. Louis from ’10-’12. He’s one of just three riders in history to win three consecutive 250sx class races at a venue over the course of three seasons. Only he and Travis Pastrana have won multiple races in St. Louis.
St. Louis Supercross Wins by Brand (Last Win)
- Yamaha 7 (2011)
- Suzuki 6 (2014)
- Kawasaki 4 (2013)
- Honda 2 (2008)
- KTM 2 (2016)
St. Louis Supercross All Time Wins
- Ricky Carmichael – 4
- Chad Reed – 4
- Ryan Dungey – 3
- Jeremy McGrath – 3
- James Stewart – 2
- Ryan Villopoto – 2
- Kevin Windham – 2
St. Louis Riders to win in both classes
- Ricky Carmichael
- Chad Reed
- James Stewart
- Kevin Windham
St. Louis Brand Sweeps (450SX & 250SX)
- 1999: Yamaha – Jeremy McGrath & Ernesto Fonseca
- 2008: Honda – Kevin Windham & Trey Canard
- 2015: KTM – Ryan Dungey & Marvin Musquin
St. Louis Past Winners Since 1996
- 1996: Jeff Emig, Kawasaki
- 1997: Jeremy McGrath, Suzuki
- 1998: Kevin Windham, Yamaha
- 1999: Jeremy McGrath, Yamaha
- 2000: Jeremy McGrath, Yamaha
- 2001: Ricky Carmichael, Kawasaki
- 2002: Ricky Carmichael, Honda
- 2003: Chad Reed, Yamaha
- 2004: Chad Reed, Yamaha
- 2005: Ricky Carmichael, Suzuki
- 2006: Chad Reed, Yamaha
- 2007: Ricky Carmichael, Suzuki
- 2008: Kevin Windham, Honda
- 2009: Chad Reed, Suzuki
- 2010: Ryan Dungey, Suzuki
- 2011: James Stewart, Yamaha
- 2012: Ryan Villopoto, Kawasaki
- 2013: Ryan Villopoto, Kawasaki
- 2014: James Stewart, Suzuki
- 2015: Ryan Dungey, KTM
- 2016: Ryan Dungey, KTM
St. Louis Wins By Brand 250sx
- Honda 8 (2013)
- Kawasaki 5 (2014)
- Yamaha 4 (2016)
- Suzuki 3 (2003)
- KTM 1 (2015)
St. Louis First Time Winners
- 1997: Stephane Roncada
- 2007: Ben Townley
- 2009: Blake Wharton
St. Louis All Time Wins
- Justin Barcia – 3
- Travis Pastrana – 2
250sx St. Louis Past Winners since 1996
- 1996: Kevin Windham, Yamaha
- 1997: Stephane Roncada, Honda
- 1998: Ricky Carmichael, Kawasaki
- 1999: Ernesto Fonseca, Yamaha
- 2000: Travis Pastrana, Suzuki
- 2001: Travis Pastrana, Suzuki
- 2002: Chad Reed, Yamaha
- 2003: Branden Jesseman, Suzuki
- 2004: James Stewart, Kawasaki
- 2005: Grant Langston, Kawasaki
- 2006: Davi Millsaps, Honda
- 2007: Ben Townley, Kawasaki
- 2008: Trey Canard, Honda
- 2009: Blake Wharton, Honda
- 2010: Justin Barcia, Honda
- 2011: Justin Barcia, Honda
- 2012: Justin Barcia, Honda
- 2013: Wil Hahn, Honda
- 2014: Martin Davalos, Kawasaki
- 2015: Marvin Musquin, KTM
- 2016: Jeremy Martin, Yamaha
Words: Press Release